Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Techie Tool 3 - GoAnimate for Schools

   Today, I enjoyed creating videos on GoAnimate4Schools, which is saying something because I typically don't enjoy that sort of activity.  It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.  The templates are at your disposal, you can add preselected music, and have your characters talk.  It actually reminded me a bit of creating an ebook, only instead of writing text you and/or your students are creating a cartoon.  It is a very safe way to incorporate technology into your classroom.  The site doesn't allow sharing with other sites,  its templates are all PG, and teachers get to preview student work to make sure profanity isn't included.
   
   Unfortunately, this tool isn't free.  Teachers are required to purchase an account.  I was able to try it for free using the 14-day free trial.  But even my limited experience with it demonstrated to me the ways my students would find it useful.  Students could recreate a play or story and put it into modern day with modern language.  Students could demonstrate how to properly perform a task such as a science experiment or art technique.  Students could even explain the parts of a sentence or story line sequence with their cartoon.  The app has messaging and notification systems, so communication between students or to the teacher is easy.  And teachers are notified when new work is ready for viewing.

   The humorous backgrounds and characters insert some fun into content.  Students would find the tool engaging while processing important concepts.  This tool allows students to guide the learning.  They can be the teacher by creating cartoons that review, explain, or create something new.  The app is pretty straightforward and easy for students to use, though I couldn't view it as a student from the teacher dashboard.  I like how it prohibits students from accessing mature content, however I wish they were able to share or publish their work more easily.  Students like being able to show off what they create if they are proud of it.   While I like the tool, the cost makes it less likely I would use it unless my school was paying for my account.  If I am only sharing videos with my students the cost is $79 per year, but if I want my students to do the creating (and I DO!) the cost is $446 per year.  YIKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project Post!

   My vanity refinishing project is complete!  I think it looks even better than I had hoped it would six weeks ago when I decided to take o...