Monday, November 20, 2017

Technology assists Teacher Productivity!


    Education technology used to be something that gave me anxiety.  I don't feel that way at all anymore.  While I may not embrace all technology, I now recognize that it is going to assist me in my endeavors to reach my students.  And isn't that the idea behind all tools, especially technological ones?  Yes!  Tools are there to help make work easier.  So, what tools do I think I will bring into my classroom?

   First and foremost, I know I will be utilizing GoogleDocs.  As an ELA teacher, writing is a mainstay of my curriculum, and GoogleDocs provides a more efficient way for my students to submit their writing, for me to provide feedback to them, and allows for collaboration between students.  Does it get any better?  It saves paper.  It saves time.  It allows kids to work together. Win-Win.
  
    Another tool I think I will find useful is Remind.com.  I like that the app provides a direct communication link between teachers and parents.  I can use it to contact one parent in particular, or send out messages to entire groups.  Parents are in the loop about what is happening in the classroom and have a way to contact me if necessary.  This app builds a bridge for open communication without me having to search for individual email addresses or phone numbers, or sending home notes.  Parents feel more comfortable supporting teachers when they know what is happening in the classroom.

    I also love PearDeck.  It is a great forum for communication with students.  It allows for interactive teaching, and it instantly generates data from the student responses to my formative assessment questions.  Being multifunctional is always a plus!  It saves me time and energy by immediately showing me who is struggling with content.  That allows me to more effectively tailor my instruction for struggling students.  

    These are only a few of the tools that I have learned about, but they are ones that I feel comfortable using with minimal exposure.  They have also made me braver about trying new things.  Technology is ever changing, and now I understand how to better use it to suit my needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project Post!

   My vanity refinishing project is complete!  I think it looks even better than I had hoped it would six weeks ago when I decided to take o...