Tuesday, September 19, 2017

To Share or Not to Share?


      So, this week I have been asked to mull over if educators do or do not have a responsibility and/or moral obligation to share their work.  I would have to say that I believe they should.  If our true mission is educate children to the best of our ability, why wouldn't we want to provide great tools to help other educators or ask for help when we need it?  The internet is a great tool to do this, in fact, it makes it almost easy.  Blogs, vlogs, Pinterest, Twitter . . . the list of sites dedicated to helping people share ideas is seemingly infinite.  But, what is worth sharing?

      Coming from someone who is not fluent in technology and who is a newbie just about to enter the teaching field, I can say that I originally found the idea of sharing a little awkward and absurd.  I absolutely identified with Jennie Snyder when I read her article here.  I, too, wondered "how can someone with so little experience have anything to offer someone else?"  That being said, after listening to and reading other educators' discuss sharing, I have realized that even I can benefit from the practice.  New teachers should be sharing the new ideas and experiences they have - the good, the bad, and even the ugly.  They can use technology to search out advice from seasoned teachers.  They can also share their experiences when their lessons flop to seek out feedback on how to improve.  Good educators are constantly reflecting on their practices and revising, and technology can be a tool used to do this better!  And while there is definitely value in sharing ideas, tools and strategies face to face with colleagues, sharing can go further and is readily available 24/7 when it is done via the internet.  While I mainly just read the feeds and posts of others now, as I begin my journey as an educator, I plan on commenting and responding to posts and ideas I find interesting. In this manner I can begin a dialogue with veteran educators who can help me when I need it most.

     It is also worth noting that it is vitally important that sharing be done safely for both you and the students.  Most schools require permission before you record or photograph students.  Sharing descriptions of students' failures must be done with utmost care, and without any risk of embarrassing them.  If you find yourself blogging about a lack of student success, I would suggest you focus on your failure to make the lesson meaningful for your students, rather than their failure to understand.  

    Sharing can seem time consuming and intimidating, but it doesn't have to be.  Much like any writing, you simply need to consider the purpose of what you are sharing.  There is no rule stating it has to be polished to perfection or in printable form, though these are sometimes helpful and will get your ideas more than a passing glance.  And it doesn't have to be professionally edited by a videographer.  (For more on value of mistakes look here).  

      While some teachers don't care to share, I think it is critical to encourage it.  We can help to create a culture of transparency by creating education blogs and sharing lesson plans that work wonders.  We can contribute to this culture by following other educators and responding to their ideas, or questioning them, or borrowing them.  Transparency is about allowing others to see what we are doing, giving them insight on what is working and what isn't.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project Post!

   My vanity refinishing project is complete!  I think it looks even better than I had hoped it would six weeks ago when I decided to take o...